Saturday, December 19, 2009

Atlantis - Vision for a people and a nation

Atlantis
The story of Atlantis has always fascinated me yet I admit I have never read the book. Part of me doesn't want to read the translation cause I have a feeling somewhere someone mistranslated maybe that's me just being pessimistic. This story has done the same for many around the world most likely for some of the same reason it has for me.
The idea of an ancient civilization that had greater technology and social graces then any before, during or since is appealing.
Many people say that this isn't possible I don't understand why weren't the people of 10,000 years ago, hell the people of 100,000 years ago homo sapiens just like you. Doesn't that mean that what you accomplished they also could accomplish I think that's egotistical on a grand scale.
What makes this story so good to me is the idea that:
One - They lived on an island. So right from there you know they had much more control over who came and went from their land.
Two - they created great technology that did all the work allowing them to live in leisure and the pursuit of knowledge.
Three - They had great technology, which I doubt they shared much more than maybe some architectural ideas with those they traded with maybe some medical stuff. For the most part it goes with out much deduction they kept their technology to themselves. Some would argue they kept the word in the dark ages. Well it seems smart to me why give such knowledge to people that could be your enemy some day or give it to an enemy or have it stolen. (If most of the industrial nations especially America lived by this idea most of their global problems would be none existent.)
It really doesn't matter to me that the nation existed or not I think it gives the Ideal of what a society should be striving for or be. I don't know what the civilized nations of today are striving for. I don't think any one has the foggiest LOL.
“That's what I'm working for that's the dream. Wow this is hard work”.
I read somewhere that one of the proverb in the bible goes something like this. "If you don't give the people a vision, they will perish." Look at any people that act ignorant, not in the best interest for themselves and community. You will see a people that have no vision, no goal for the group. So what happens is people go to their base instinct (crude but true) eat, sleep, shit, fuck. If this is what your whole life is about, what your community, and nation is about don't expect great things don't expect wonders. They will only come from a few, here and there yet the people at whole will take credit. Think about!

No comments:

Post a Comment